What I learn when I'm busy...
Hmmm that was a pretty long break... well I was too bored even to write something in my blog. But now that I have something to look forward to in life(errr.. thats not VERY true but thats how I console my jobless brain), like all the weird courses I'm doing which my MOM thinks is keeping me busy, I decided to write something.
Ok so there is this computer class that I go to which is pretty far from my house. So I need to go and come back either by bus or auto or plead someone at home for a drive(which is usually my brother and I don't even want to talk about what all he makes me do for him after I get back home. It can fill pages about how sad the younger one's life can get). Asusual I'm late that day too and I somehow reached the place before the teacher came(o well no points for guessing how...the teacher was late:P). After I sat through what I don't even have a blurred memory of, I get out of the class thinking about how I'm going to get back home before it gets dark. Its not that I believe in ghosts or spook gives me spikes but I come from a family which believes that a girl should be back home before twilight. I don't mind following it because I see an element of truth in it but I always fail to reason out the truth satisfactorily with others. Meanwhile my classmate asks me if I wanted her to drop me off somewhere and I gladly(shamelessly) accept the offer. I get myself dropped at this crossroad where I assure her I'll get an auto and she happily drives off with no further offers. So I stand there, thanking my fate for gracing me with atleast a ride halfway, waiting for an auto. This is when I see this man sitting on the pavement and mending shoes. He was constantly staring at me(I have NO facial brilliance) and I was literally cursing him in my heart(I now pray God to forgive me for that). And then I was so totally bugged that I turned and looked at him when he asked me to move away(in telugu and for once I understood). Reluctantly I moved only to realise I was standing in this stupid corner which was some sort of a blind turn and anything could happen to anyone there. I still don't like him though I managed to smile at him(my smile is OK thanks to my braces). Its already 15 minutes since I have been waiting for an auto and I didn't get one. Not that none went past me but no one expected anyone as intelligent as me to be looking for an auto on a road where drivers were in love with their accelerators.
I start cursing my luck again coz it was already dark. I decide to call my brother and beg him well... AGAIN. Poor me, I look for a telephone booth and can't find one( why can't I find anything). To top it all, HE is still staring at me(or thats what I assumed). So I decide to cross the HUGE road and try my luck on the otherside but one look to my left and the speed scares the shit outta me. I make up my mind to die in the corner but not in the middle of the road.My waiting time crosses 1 hr and I was sure my mom would be looking for me. I didn't know what to do.I was helpless. No auto, No bus stop, No cellphone only stares, MONEY and loads of BAD LUCK( who said money brings good luck ... Grrrrrr..). I couldn't see people around except that guy who was sitting on the pavement. I was just contemplating the idea of asking him for help when I saw him move. His legs were missing(the crudest way I can put a thing that hit me so hard, thats what I thought then.... rather I wasn't thinking). I don't know what possessed me when I went and asked him if I could do something for him. But he didn't say anything(Ahhh..did I expect too much, he knows how worthless I am). He sat on his wheel chair crossed the road(I still don't know how he managed)and got back an auto for me. All those who thought yay yay! was my first reaction, hit yourself hard. I was speechless. For all the glares I gave him, I didn't know what exactly I should tell him. I was standing there and STARING at him(the other way round or I assumed). I finally mumbled a thanks and got in. I could hear him say "U R WELCOME" (yes in english). Like all girls do when they are touched I started crying.I don't care what the driver thought. I was hating myself. What could computers do if you couldn't cross the road, what could cell phones do if you didn't carry one, what could knowledge do if you couldn't differentiate filthy stare and concern and what could living do if you couldn't make it different for others. To know the meaning of life you should play his part. Living without limbs is death enough. And I let him help me at something I was more than capable. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Inspite of being hurt/touched/confused/helpless/sad all the while at home I was SERVING my brother for dropping me that evening.
Well thats what happened that day. I'm not insane enough to accept offers these days and I'm still looking for him to do anything he asks for. I expected/intended the post to be serious. Sorry about the bits of nonsense here and there.
Ok so there is this computer class that I go to which is pretty far from my house. So I need to go and come back either by bus or auto or plead someone at home for a drive(which is usually my brother and I don't even want to talk about what all he makes me do for him after I get back home. It can fill pages about how sad the younger one's life can get). Asusual I'm late that day too and I somehow reached the place before the teacher came(o well no points for guessing how...the teacher was late:P). After I sat through what I don't even have a blurred memory of, I get out of the class thinking about how I'm going to get back home before it gets dark. Its not that I believe in ghosts or spook gives me spikes but I come from a family which believes that a girl should be back home before twilight. I don't mind following it because I see an element of truth in it but I always fail to reason out the truth satisfactorily with others. Meanwhile my classmate asks me if I wanted her to drop me off somewhere and I gladly(shamelessly) accept the offer. I get myself dropped at this crossroad where I assure her I'll get an auto and she happily drives off with no further offers. So I stand there, thanking my fate for gracing me with atleast a ride halfway, waiting for an auto. This is when I see this man sitting on the pavement and mending shoes. He was constantly staring at me(I have NO facial brilliance) and I was literally cursing him in my heart(I now pray God to forgive me for that). And then I was so totally bugged that I turned and looked at him when he asked me to move away(in telugu and for once I understood). Reluctantly I moved only to realise I was standing in this stupid corner which was some sort of a blind turn and anything could happen to anyone there. I still don't like him though I managed to smile at him(my smile is OK thanks to my braces). Its already 15 minutes since I have been waiting for an auto and I didn't get one. Not that none went past me but no one expected anyone as intelligent as me to be looking for an auto on a road where drivers were in love with their accelerators.
I start cursing my luck again coz it was already dark. I decide to call my brother and beg him well... AGAIN. Poor me, I look for a telephone booth and can't find one( why can't I find anything). To top it all, HE is still staring at me(or thats what I assumed). So I decide to cross the HUGE road and try my luck on the otherside but one look to my left and the speed scares the shit outta me. I make up my mind to die in the corner but not in the middle of the road.My waiting time crosses 1 hr and I was sure my mom would be looking for me. I didn't know what to do.I was helpless. No auto, No bus stop, No cellphone only stares, MONEY and loads of BAD LUCK( who said money brings good luck ... Grrrrrr..). I couldn't see people around except that guy who was sitting on the pavement. I was just contemplating the idea of asking him for help when I saw him move. His legs were missing(the crudest way I can put a thing that hit me so hard, thats what I thought then.... rather I wasn't thinking). I don't know what possessed me when I went and asked him if I could do something for him. But he didn't say anything(Ahhh..did I expect too much, he knows how worthless I am). He sat on his wheel chair crossed the road(I still don't know how he managed)and got back an auto for me. All those who thought yay yay! was my first reaction, hit yourself hard. I was speechless. For all the glares I gave him, I didn't know what exactly I should tell him. I was standing there and STARING at him(the other way round or I assumed). I finally mumbled a thanks and got in. I could hear him say "U R WELCOME" (yes in english). Like all girls do when they are touched I started crying.I don't care what the driver thought. I was hating myself. What could computers do if you couldn't cross the road, what could cell phones do if you didn't carry one, what could knowledge do if you couldn't differentiate filthy stare and concern and what could living do if you couldn't make it different for others. To know the meaning of life you should play his part. Living without limbs is death enough. And I let him help me at something I was more than capable. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Inspite of being hurt/touched/confused/helpless/sad all the while at home I was SERVING my brother for dropping me that evening.
Well thats what happened that day. I'm not insane enough to accept offers these days and I'm still looking for him to do anything he asks for. I expected/intended the post to be serious. Sorry about the bits of nonsense here and there.
6 Comments:
truly and sincerely touching . reminds me of the movie black and reminds me again how very fortunate we all are we are not disabled in any manner we ought to ponder on this fact very seriously and thnk god for wat he has given us but we surely shudn't be sorry for those who are less fortunate coz they love to live with dignity and not with others' sympathy -thnk u poornaa for reminding us certain forgotten things!!
Wow, really touching... Its little things like this which make a big difference...makes us realise how fortunate we are..thanks for sharing this.
Already told you that I really liked this post. I'm still speechless... and not so 'typeful' either, so I'll just quote what was said above (partly because it describes the post very well, and partly because I'm too dumb to come up with something else) - "truly touching".
Maybe you ought to get stranded more often so we can read more of your posts :)
ok...then...thats very very touchy..i'd like to add tht we shud now on learn not to complain ..b'cos there r quite a lot of ppl who dont even know what it means to think of something they dont or cant have..thanx for melting my heart for a good cause...
Best post ever in blog-dom...and I _read_ quit a log of blogs!!
@chitra
Wish everyone realises what u did.
@ anony...
Thanks... can i read ur blog too?
Post a Comment
<< Home