AI YAM BACKK
Lots of sorries to all the people who read my blog which is 1..2..3 people. Took me sometime to make the "I'm back" post. I haven't been here the whole of last week which is why there haven't been any posts. And since I was trying to catch up with whatever was happening in class(I'm still trying to... failing miserably asusual) I was dormant the whole of this week.
Where I was last week might take more than 1 post. But I shall try to make it one post. Before I continue
Warning: People who can't value classical music... stop reading right here. Any unnecessary comment will be deleted onsight.
So I was at Thiruvayaaru (Thats how it is spelt over there... acceptable variations would be thiruvaiyaru/thiruvaiyaar). All I can say is, that place is HEAVEN. Its the village where saint Thyagaraja attained samadhi. Every year the Thyagaraja aaradhana is held during " a very tough to type" day. The program goes on for a week though and ALL the musicians come and sing/play one of these days. The best part is there is "NO ENTRY FEE" and you can actually listen to the best musicians of the carnatic music world perform. The day starts off at 8 o' clock and ends at 12 midnight and there is music non-stop( music every second and I am serious).
Even the best singers get only a 20 minute slot. Its so much fun!! I stayed 100 meters away from the pandal and I could listen to everyone. My phone has some excellent pieces and I just can't stop listening to them now. And on the day of the aaradhana there is a goshti gaanam (group singing), which is the best part! A huge crowd of people sing the pancharathna krithis together. I know I am getting people jealous here but one needs to be there to realize... reaslize... realize... EVERYTHING!
Though I didn't stay there the entire week, the four days that I was there had some amazing performances! There was Sudha Raghunathan, Priya sisters, Unni Krishnan, Bombay Sisters, Mandolin Srinivas(I had to include this:-P), Kanyakumari violin..... Ok I can go on forever but I shall stop here! If you love classical music you wouldn't want to leave that place.
Moving on to free food:-D. You get some yummy south indian lunch there. Its mostly kai, kootu, sambar, rasam *minus* appalam. Theres always idli and pongal for breakfast. You can eat that atleast for the awesome chutney! Now you know what I enjoyed the most there.
Since my guru is K.Subbulakshmi (Kunnakudi Vaithyanathan's sister), we actually stayed with his family there. Thank You G and L(his grandchildren, 12 and 18 yrs old resp) for the jokes we cracked, the laughter we shared and the balloons we ruined! The balloon seller had a ball! We bought 12 balloons in two days. 9- Rs.5 ones and 3- Rs.7 ones. The difference between them is that, Rs.5 ones are huge while the Rs 7 one is the Rs.5 one + a heart shaped balloon inside it. Like kaadhal in thondi.(love in stomach) Thats how G described it!
I guess I'll stop here. The balloons deserve another post. Lets see....
Thats all for now!
PS: I sang there!
PPS: I was on TV!
PPPS: More posts coming!
Where I was last week might take more than 1 post. But I shall try to make it one post. Before I continue
Warning: People who can't value classical music... stop reading right here. Any unnecessary comment will be deleted onsight.
So I was at Thiruvayaaru (Thats how it is spelt over there... acceptable variations would be thiruvaiyaru/thiruvaiyaar). All I can say is, that place is HEAVEN. Its the village where saint Thyagaraja attained samadhi. Every year the Thyagaraja aaradhana is held during " a very tough to type" day. The program goes on for a week though and ALL the musicians come and sing/play one of these days. The best part is there is "NO ENTRY FEE" and you can actually listen to the best musicians of the carnatic music world perform. The day starts off at 8 o' clock and ends at 12 midnight and there is music non-stop( music every second and I am serious).
Even the best singers get only a 20 minute slot. Its so much fun!! I stayed 100 meters away from the pandal and I could listen to everyone. My phone has some excellent pieces and I just can't stop listening to them now. And on the day of the aaradhana there is a goshti gaanam (group singing), which is the best part! A huge crowd of people sing the pancharathna krithis together. I know I am getting people jealous here but one needs to be there to realize... reaslize... realize... EVERYTHING!
Though I didn't stay there the entire week, the four days that I was there had some amazing performances! There was Sudha Raghunathan, Priya sisters, Unni Krishnan, Bombay Sisters, Mandolin Srinivas(I had to include this:-P), Kanyakumari violin..... Ok I can go on forever but I shall stop here! If you love classical music you wouldn't want to leave that place.
Moving on to free food:-D. You get some yummy south indian lunch there. Its mostly kai, kootu, sambar, rasam *minus* appalam. Theres always idli and pongal for breakfast. You can eat that atleast for the awesome chutney! Now you know what I enjoyed the most there.
Since my guru is K.Subbulakshmi (Kunnakudi Vaithyanathan's sister), we actually stayed with his family there. Thank You G and L(his grandchildren, 12 and 18 yrs old resp) for the jokes we cracked, the laughter we shared and the balloons we ruined! The balloon seller had a ball! We bought 12 balloons in two days. 9- Rs.5 ones and 3- Rs.7 ones. The difference between them is that, Rs.5 ones are huge while the Rs 7 one is the Rs.5 one + a heart shaped balloon inside it. Like kaadhal in thondi.(love in stomach) Thats how G described it!
I guess I'll stop here. The balloons deserve another post. Lets see....
Thats all for now!
PS: I sang there!
PPS: I was on TV!
PPPS: More posts coming!
5 Comments:
Wow I didn't know you sing!!! I bet you had a blast...coz I always do when I visit my place, which is in Kerala.
"People who can't value classical music... stop reading right here"
Well, I read the whole thing anyway... I don't know the first thing about classical music, so I can't say things like "Wow!" or "I wish I was there". Anyway you seem to have enjoyed yourself over there :)
I want a post dedicated to the stuff in the PSs.
Anusha:
Hehe... I had loads of fun!
Varun:
PSs eh? It'll come soon!
coooool.......:p .as if i had no clue abt it...nywayzz m really happy tht u had fun ..thts alll,getting rid of ur routine life is alwayzz fun..ok mostly its fun,n yeah i know for a fact tht u r a fab singer...stop blushing maaa,,,take LITE BAAP :p...
cya
aks
Aks:
Arre BAAP!
Kya BAAP?
mein tho fullll blushing maamuu!
LOL!
Keep seeing you...
Post a Comment
<< Home