Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Universal Language!

People who talk to me daily would probably know that my grandmom is here. My grandmom has been taking acupuncture treatment from our korean neighbours. This is what happened yesterday.

Patty(granma in tamil) knows to speak only tamil with some english words in between (like flatform for platform and some such). This is how the convo between the Korean kids' dad and patty went.
Treatment is over. Uncle gets up to leave.

Patty: Romba reliefaa irukku. Thanks.

Uncle: Poorunaa what she says?

Poornaa: She says lot of relief and thanks.

U: Ye Ye! Thank you.

Pa: naan daan thank you sollanam.( I should be thanking you)

From now on I donno how they understood eachother without me but well... they spoke the universal language.

U: Thank you, Aunty!

Pa: Naanum narraya daawkter (doctor) ta ponen aanalum ivalo relief illa.(I went to soo many doctors but never had soo much relief). * the reader is expected to understand that my gran knows very few words in english*

U: No No... I am not docta.

Pa: I know you not daawkter.

U: Ye Ye. I no docta.

Pa: You know dakter?

U: I am not dacta lekiiiiiin..... * My neighbour has been learning hindi for a year now *

Pa: You know reiki?? Naan narraya kelvi patturukken. Pannuvela? Sollitharuvela? Poo kelen ivarta. ( You know reiki?? I have heard a lot about it. Do you do it? Will you teach me? Poo ask him)

Poo: (chuckles)

U: ...... Lekiiiiiin I know acupuncture.

Pa: Reiki and acupuncture not same no?

Poo: (can't stop laughing)

U: Poorunaa, What is she asking?

I went on to explain. Sad life I lead.

And I thought translating Kaykusum to tamil was difficult.


Pheeeww!

13 Comments:

Blogger Varun Abhiram said...

ROFL I can imagine how that must have been... I remember a similar incident (when I was little) between my grandma and one of my dad's friends - super fun it was!!

Most entertaining post I've read all month!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You stole my Kaykusum :'( I shall not let you get away with it.

P.S. That was damn funny.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Varun:
Thanks sonny!
I guess you'll gonna be entertained with more granma talk coz she'll be here for another week.

Anony:
Heyyyyy Godfather/ wohitch/ krishnandude !!!
Its you right??
hehe, I stole your kaykusum eh? Lol its ok. Treat in return:-P. When are you coming here?

7:31 AM  
Blogger Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Ok some confusion. The krishnan dude here isn't VBK.. so yeah the other krishnan dude:-P

7:41 AM  
Blogger Varun B. Krishnan said...

translation crisis exhibited in a comic manner... scene po!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Poornaa Venkatesan said...

vbk:

Bayangara scene! You should have seen it. Abbaaaah

9:25 PM  
Blogger ASHWIN KRISHNAN said...

Wow ey... u blog and all huh!!! well, bab, carry on... ALL D BEST

12:59 PM  
Blogger Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Ashwin Krishnan:

Thank You!

and bab = baap or babe :-P?

8:52 PM  
Blogger ASHWIN KRISHNAN said...

bab = Babe obviously... why shud u get a doubt here??

7:43 AM  
Blogger Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Ashwin:

Why shud I get a doubt huh?
To increase comments:-P.

No seriously I dint know which one of the two it meant.
Ahhh such modesty noo:-D.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gud work pooo!!!that was really funny!keep writing gud stuff.....cya

10:21 PM  
Blogger Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Divya:
Sure!

Kraktik:
Wok!

9:39 PM  
Blogger anusha said...

hi there....you know what...my gramma's here too!..hey i just got the idea...why dont our two grammas meet up?...double fun!!
looking forward to more gramma talk..:)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home