Jodhaa Akbar
I finally saw Jodhaa Akbar today and I loved it. Honestly, I didn't have high hopes after what people said. Probably it was this lack of hope that made me like it so much.
The start itself was awesome, to me atleast. I love Amitabh Bachchan's voice. And then Hrithik Roshan's upper part happened and I was staring and staring until they tilted the camera downwards. Whatte shock! I saw how badly he needs to be taught to walk like Akbar. A sloppy walk he has all through the movie, like he is this rubber man in a circus. That aside, he looked extremely hot with that moustache and acted better than Kaho na pyaar hai and Dhoom 2. Effectively, one of his best films so far. Thankfully Akbar wasn't a man with supernatural powers or such shit.
And then there was Aishwarya Rai Bachchan who comes with all this I want to follow my dharm ideals and succeeds. Ofcourse, she also succeeds in keeping Akbar from touching her. But then we knew Akbar had to touch her at some point of time and I literally sat there waiting for it. The whole war thing in the beginning and in between were all so well-made that yes, I fell in love with the director, but I was getting little too bored watching Jodha be this extremely wonderful human being, playing with rabbits and birds and all that, who Akbar cannot touch but can only "Check out" through those heavily carved windows. And when the intimate stuff actually happened, it became one huge comedy affair. On the floor or on the bed. On the floor or on the bed. Floor maybe... some timepass and then yay!!! bed it'll be! Now to actually credit Ash for what she did - Unlike the world, I thought she was really good in this movie. For all those who called her a moving doll with nothing to do, I so disagree. She did ACT. Ofcourse, she wasn't on screen as much but when she was and the story needed her, she did well. Especially the sword fight with Hrithik, the anger was so clearly evident on her face that I forgot she was acting, for a while. The only thing one could probably point out was that she was too thin for the role. But again, you would have laughed if Hrithik would have seen someone else and said Masha Allah because I almost puked when Ranbir Kapoor said that in Saanwariya. Anyhow, she was beautiful and all that she had to be in the movie.
And so there were people and there were wars and these people spoke. They spoke Urdu but man, what dialogues! One after the other, things that I wish I could say. Things that I would love to say if only I remembered them. I vaguely remember ekaant and khaaaamosh and muaf and khauff and Mohabbat. Actually, if anyone noticed, Hrithik says maaf instead of muaf at almost the end of the movie. I still can't figure if that was a mistake or what... Anyway, if I watch it again, it'll be ONLY for the dialogues. So not like what we usually get to hear.
Then there was God and there was AR Rehman. Its been a while since I have heard so many amazing songs in one movie. I was singing along all the songs during the movie, that this person next to me got scared. Really, they aren't these normal Hindi songs where you can remember words. Every word is so new to me and to think of the fact that I and so many others know the songs by heart.....
It is ONLY because of the tune. The better the tune, the easier it gets to recogize patterns. Its how you feel when you see any alphabet for the first time. I fail to explain this properly all the time so I shall leave it at that. Like I was saying, the music is divine. Every song. Theres Mann Mohana by Bela Shende which is absolutely out of the world. I don't think Shreya Ghoshal can ever manage to sing that as well. Then Khwajaji by ARR which I don't even have to say anything about. Though the best, I think are, Jashn - e - Bahara and In lamhon ke daaman mein. When the chorus in lamhon ke daaman goes Kyun hai yeh aarzoo, kyun hai yeh justju, kyun dil bechain hai, kyun dil bathaab hai, I literally have goose bumps all over. Ok, I am out of words now. We just need ARR forever.
So, watch it if you haven't. Its different. Watch it for the dialogues and ARR. And I might also add, watch it to for Ash. She doesn't "just act" often.
Oh please listen to Mann Mohana. It doesn't come all at a time in the movie. That spoils the beauty...
The start itself was awesome, to me atleast. I love Amitabh Bachchan's voice. And then Hrithik Roshan's upper part happened and I was staring and staring until they tilted the camera downwards. Whatte shock! I saw how badly he needs to be taught to walk like Akbar. A sloppy walk he has all through the movie, like he is this rubber man in a circus. That aside, he looked extremely hot with that moustache and acted better than Kaho na pyaar hai and Dhoom 2. Effectively, one of his best films so far. Thankfully Akbar wasn't a man with supernatural powers or such shit.
And then there was Aishwarya Rai Bachchan who comes with all this I want to follow my dharm ideals and succeeds. Ofcourse, she also succeeds in keeping Akbar from touching her. But then we knew Akbar had to touch her at some point of time and I literally sat there waiting for it. The whole war thing in the beginning and in between were all so well-made that yes, I fell in love with the director, but I was getting little too bored watching Jodha be this extremely wonderful human being, playing with rabbits and birds and all that, who Akbar cannot touch but can only "Check out" through those heavily carved windows. And when the intimate stuff actually happened, it became one huge comedy affair. On the floor or on the bed. On the floor or on the bed. Floor maybe... some timepass and then yay!!! bed it'll be! Now to actually credit Ash for what she did - Unlike the world, I thought she was really good in this movie. For all those who called her a moving doll with nothing to do, I so disagree. She did ACT. Ofcourse, she wasn't on screen as much but when she was and the story needed her, she did well. Especially the sword fight with Hrithik, the anger was so clearly evident on her face that I forgot she was acting, for a while. The only thing one could probably point out was that she was too thin for the role. But again, you would have laughed if Hrithik would have seen someone else and said Masha Allah because I almost puked when Ranbir Kapoor said that in Saanwariya. Anyhow, she was beautiful and all that she had to be in the movie.
And so there were people and there were wars and these people spoke. They spoke Urdu but man, what dialogues! One after the other, things that I wish I could say. Things that I would love to say if only I remembered them. I vaguely remember ekaant and khaaaamosh and muaf and khauff and Mohabbat. Actually, if anyone noticed, Hrithik says maaf instead of muaf at almost the end of the movie. I still can't figure if that was a mistake or what... Anyway, if I watch it again, it'll be ONLY for the dialogues. So not like what we usually get to hear.
Then there was God and there was AR Rehman. Its been a while since I have heard so many amazing songs in one movie. I was singing along all the songs during the movie, that this person next to me got scared. Really, they aren't these normal Hindi songs where you can remember words. Every word is so new to me and to think of the fact that I and so many others know the songs by heart.....
It is ONLY because of the tune. The better the tune, the easier it gets to recogize patterns. Its how you feel when you see any alphabet for the first time. I fail to explain this properly all the time so I shall leave it at that. Like I was saying, the music is divine. Every song. Theres Mann Mohana by Bela Shende which is absolutely out of the world. I don't think Shreya Ghoshal can ever manage to sing that as well. Then Khwajaji by ARR which I don't even have to say anything about. Though the best, I think are, Jashn - e - Bahara and In lamhon ke daaman mein. When the chorus in lamhon ke daaman goes Kyun hai yeh aarzoo, kyun hai yeh justju, kyun dil bechain hai, kyun dil bathaab hai, I literally have goose bumps all over. Ok, I am out of words now. We just need ARR forever.
So, watch it if you haven't. Its different. Watch it for the dialogues and ARR. And I might also add, watch it to for Ash. She doesn't "just act" often.
Oh please listen to Mann Mohana. It doesn't come all at a time in the movie. That spoils the beauty...
5 Comments:
Hmmm doesn't seem to be the kind of movie I'll like at all. Didn't think the song was great either. Anyway will watch the movie sometime just for the heck of it :)
Hello Poornaa,
We are pleased to announce the launch of 'Chakpak Picture Gallery Widgets - beta' . Movie Picture Gallery Widgets are small HTML scriptlets which you can copy to your blog and they show nifty picture gallery for the configured movie. They are a neat addition to your blog entry.
It looks like you are a movie buff, and frequently blog about movies. These Picture Gallery Widgets would be a great addition to the movie reviews that you write.
To start just go to http://chakpak-widgets.blogspot.com/ Find the widget which you like. Click on Grab this widget and copy-paste the HTML scriptlet to your blog.
We hope you like them. Please send us any feedback on the widgets and help us improve the widgets further.
Regards,
Chakpak Team
http://www.chakpak.com
http://chakpak-widgets.blogspot.com/
Hey Poorna,
Nice take on Jodha Akbar as a personal note.:) ARR rocks..I think that was an asset to the film and the dialogues..... but honestly, I really didn think that their love story was so intense to be told as story, every other hero is wooed by his girl just like Akbar did..agree the expressions were different. I really appreciate the grandeur in the film.. especially in Azeem O Shehanshah :)
babe al dat bout da movie was k bt i dint knw u wer so desp 2 watch dose supposedly intimate scenes!!! lol
Great review.
I too liked the movie..I must say it was most gratifying that it did not disappoint me. Ashutosh Gowariker did a very fine job.
This is one of the finest historicals ever in Indian cinema in league with Mughal-e-Azam, Razia Sultana and Junoon (Shashi Kapoor's). I love history and historical films and want to see more of such stuff from Bollywood.
Post a Comment
<< Home